Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link
Making these Scandinavian Star Christmas tree decorations is one of my favorite family traditions. My father’s grandmother, my great-grandmother was from Stockholm, Sweden. I remember making these as a child and now I am passing the tradition down to my grandchildren.
Also it’s a great way to use up your left over paper strips.
The Scandinavian Paper Star
- Take 12 half inch strips of paper at least 6 inches long
- Create a cross by gluing 2 of the strips together at the center
- Create a basket weave around this cross with 4 more strips and glue in place
- Then twist and glue two strips in each corner to create “petals” leaving a cross in the middle
- Create a second 4 petal piece just like this one
- Nest the 2 four petal pieces together creating an eight sided snowflake
- Weave the center cross strips under each corresponding petal and glue in place
- Trim the cross strip ends and punch a hole for a twine hanger
- Decorate the centers if desired
If you found this tutorial helpful , be sure to catch me live every Friday over on my Facebook Page for more Fun Fold Friday tutorials each week.