Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link
In this blog post, I will show you how to make a gatefold card that stays closed. I am using the sunflower from the Painted Harvest stamp set to keep the doors latched.
Fancy folds are all the rage in the card making world these days. One of the easiest fancy fold cards is the gatefold card. However, they don’t always like to stay closed.
I am using today’s color challenge for my inspiration to make this gatefold card that stays closed. So Saffron is from our Subtles collection and Melon Mango along with Granny Apple Green are from our Brights collection.
To make this gatefold card that stays closed you will need the following supplies which can all be found in my shop.
Gatefold That Stays Closed Card Details
- Card base in thick Whisper White cut at 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ and scored at 2 1/8″ on both sides
- Door panels – So Saffron cardstock cut at 5 1/4″ x 3 3/4″ , randomly stamp leaves all over in Granny Apple Green then cut in half at 1 7/8″
- Use a sponge dauber to ink edges of the two panels in Granny Apple Green
- Tape panels to the outside of gatefold doors
- Stamp “Happy Birthday” on Whisper White scrap and cut out with 2nd largest Layering Oval
- Cut out Melon Mambo with largest Layering Oval
- Stick both ovals together
Create 2 Melon Mambo Sunflowers
- Stamp center of flowers in So Saffron
- Use the “stamp off” technique to stamp large flower layer in Melon Mambo
- Then stamp detailed petals in full ink
- Use the “mask” technique with a post-it note to add leaves in Granny Apple Green
- Fussy cut both sunflowers out
- glue flowers to Melon Mambo cardstock and fussy cut again leaving 1/8″ showing
Assemble Gatefold Card
- Tape oval “Happy Birthday” to left gate door being careful not to get tape on the right side.
- Use Stampin’ Dimensionals to adhere a sunflower to the upper left of oval
- Being careful to leave room for the oval to tuck under the flower, use Stampin’ Dimensionals to adhere the second sunflower in on right panel door
It is the second sunflower that allows the gatefold card to stay closed.
You can watch the how-to video here: